Simple aloo patty called patties, generally served with ragda or vatana curry.
For Potato Covering
- 3 large Potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 3 Bread Slices
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- Few spoons of Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala (Optional. Available in any Indian grocery shop)
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup (A tad less than that) Chana Dal/Split Bengal Gram/Split Chickpeas
- 1 Green Chilli
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ tsp Amchoor Powder/Dried Mango Powder or Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
- Oil/Butter/Ghee for shallow frying
- Mix boiled and mashed potatoes with bread crumbs (grind bread slices along with green chillies).
- Add salt, coriander leaves, cumin seeds and chaat masala (optional).
- Mix it properly and keep aside. Take care that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- For stuffing pick, soak, wash chana dal, add salt and turmeric powder, chopped green chilli and about one and half cup of water. The water should barely cover the dal. Close the lid of the cooker.
- Boil the dal till just cooked(two whistles in pressure cooker).
- Put off the gas, let the pressure subside and then open the lid. If dal is cooked but still some amount of water remains, then drain the excess water. If just traces of water are remaining, then heat the dal without covering with lid on high flame. Remember we need just cooked chana dal, not mushy.
- Add some garam masala powder, amchoor powder, cumin seeds and keep it covered for few minutes. You can also add some raisins and cashew nuts. Let the dal cool properly.
- Grease you palm and take a small portion of potato mixture, pat it on your palms , place the stuffing of chana dal and roll it back into a ball.
- Now if you have the heart shaped mould that is used for making patties, then use it otherwise just make a tikki shape, a ball of mixture flattened a bit from both sides(just press the stuffed ball in between yours palms, very gently).
- Shallow fry on a hot griddle, adding some oil/ghee/butter and tossing it at intervals.
- Cook it on high to medium flame till the surface becomes crisp and brown.
- Serve immediately with mint coriander chutney or ketchup.
- This patties along with choley (garbanzo beans curry), some chutney and raw onion slices, with some bread or Pao, makes a filling meal. Popularly known as 'Chaap chola' in Sindhi, its one of the most loved street food.
Please follow and like us: