Half of the visitors arriving here would run away, for sure, after reading the name of this post…..Coz; that’s a normal reaction I expect from people who just can’t stand the bitterness of karela (bittergourd). But this post is for those other half, who will stay and would actually read the recipe…Kudos for them(bravo !).
This is the simplest, basic recipe for making bittergourds and a bit of modification, like adding sliced potatoes, would actually save you from making additional dish for those fussy eaters who refuse to even have a look at these” bitter wonders”. They can enjoy potatoes in onion while you…The great karela lover… can relish your karelas .
- Bitter gourds (karela) 250 gm
- Onion 3 large
- Tomatoes 2 small sized
- Green chillies 2-3
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder 1tspn
- Garam masala powder ½ tsp
- Oil 2-3 tsp
- Wash, peel and slit bitter gourds.
- Put some salt and keep them aside for few hours
- Now rinse them with some water and fry them in LITTLE oil, till light golden colour
- Now use this oil, to cook onions which are sliced, until soft and pink
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chillies, ginger and some salt
- Let the mixture cook till onions are very soft and brown in colour
- Now add fried karelas, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook further on low flame
- If required, add few spoons of water and cook till karelas absorb the flavour of spices and turn soft
- Mostly sliced potatoes, that are slightly fried, are added with karelas, which are supposed to reduce the bitterness or karela.Moreover the kids wont refuse to eat this vegetable, when they see some potato slices peeping through the mixture of karela and onions;-)