Kachalu or arbi (Colocasia root) is very popular amongst Sindhis.It is basically root of Patra leaves (the same leaves which are used to make Aluwadis)It is relished in variety of ways, like boiled kachalu, fried kachalu, stuffed kachalu and also kachalu chaat.Watch out this space for all these recipes, that I am gonna share here, soon !
As for now, here is a simple way to make these arbis.Its not a healthy choice if one wish to cut off oil consumption, but for those who dig for some fried, crispy stuff to spice up plain dal roti, or enjoy fried rice with something equally great, then here we go…..
- Kachalu (250 gms)
- Oil for frying
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Red chilly powder ½ tsp (or less)
- Garam masala powder (totally optional) ¼ tsp
- Chaat masala powder (again optional) ¼ tsp
- Wash and boil kachalu with two spoons of salt till half done.If using pressure cooker just boil it till one whistle
- Let it cool and peel it properly
- Sprinkle some more salt and half fry it in a frying pan on medium flame till almost done (you can prick with knife and check, if knife digs in swiftly then its done)
- Remove kachalu from pan and gently pat each, with palm to flatten it (be careful as the kachalu tends to break)
- Deep fry again till crisp and brown
- Empty the pan (remove all the oil), sprinkle some more salt (you can first taste it a bit to check how much salt you need to add ), add dry masalas and serve immediately
- You can boil and fry kachalu for once till done and then keep it aside.Then just before serving deep fry it again to enjoy them crisp
- Goes well with Dal chawal, saibhaji,Tidali daal, bhugha chaanwara etc
And now let me share my happiness with all you dear visitors 🙂
In month of May I had participated in Pooja’s VOW JFI BELL PEPPERS event and that was my first ever entry for any food event.Not in my wildest dreams had I imagined that the Dhaas shimla mirch recipe would be appreciated so much and would actually win me an award .
Thanks pooja for holding such an event and thanks to all those visitors who voted for me…I can never thank you all enough !