Few days back I was STUDYING with my kid and preparing him for his exams.And all the mothers (ok.. fathers too) know how many questions are bounced at us by our little wonders, during such study sessions
So while revising his Gk syllabus he asked me what does goats eat….I replied Grass
Pat came another question….Then why its mutton is called NON-VEG ??
Ahem ..I was boggled for few seconds,then I composed myself and answered him that Goat is veg. (herbivores) but people who eat its meat are called Non-vegetarians. And if you think he was satisfied with this answer and that he didn’t bombarded me with more questions then probably you haven’t yet came across a six year old lad
Amused by the topic he started, my mind wandered to one of the email that I got from a visitor of my blog and I, like a weirdo started searching for the mail with eye catching recipe named “Vegetarian Fish “.
This is a recipe from Uncle Basantlal Nagdev, who has posted more than 100 recipes on Orkut, and many of his creations are lying in my (email) Inbox too. After trying this recipe, be assured that Iwill experiment with more of his recipes and will gradually share them with all of you
So for now, here is the Recipe of FISH which is made from Arbi (Kachaalu), it looked like fish (well umm …almost), tasted like fish and come to think of it that my kitchen too smelled FISHY
|Vegetarian Fish|Arbi snack||
- 250 gms. Arbi (Kachalu /Taro/Colo cassia root),boiled and mashed.
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp green chilly paste
- 3 tsp. tamarind (imli) paste or freshly squeezed lemon juice of 1 lemon (or more)
- Salt as per taste
- Black peppers to make eyes of fish
- ½ cup fresh bread slices (crumbled)
- Rava (Sooji) to coat the “fish”
- Red chilly powder, Amchoor powder and /or chaat masala to sprinkle
- Boil Arbi with enough of water and 1 tsp of salt till 2 whistles of pressure cooker (or if in pan, boil them till cooked)
- Peel and mash the arbi and add bread crumbs, salt, ginger garlic paste, green chilly paste and tamarind paste or lemon juice
- Mix very well, if the mixture is sticky, apply some water or oil
- Take a small portion of this mixture and shape it into FISH LIKE (or you can give any shape you like)
- Place black peppers in place of “eye”
- Coat with Rava and shallow fry till light golden.Sprinkle some “chaat masala”, red chilly powder and amchur (dry mango powder)
- Enjoy this Veg. Fish with rings of onion, tomato slices, chutney/sauce.
Ps:Uncle Ji i hope i had done justice to your creation and not made a mess of it
Other recipe of Arbi
Other Guest recipes: