Come March and all the mothers of school going kids, (in Maharashtra at least) are sweating over the just in sultry Summers and final examinations of kids at schools.The rising mercury and increasing anxiety about exams surely plays a great role in losing appetite and the enthusiasm to cook elaborate meals.Its surely is the time for those quick fix lunches like Bhugha chaanwara’n and curd,or Dodo with some buttermilk.The rising prices of fresh (???) vegetables in summer is inversely proportional to the freshness and hence its hard to stock some green veggies and utilize them before they wilt off.With the refrigerator not working for 6-8 hrs daily (due to load shedding) the vegetables surely die untimely death
So in such scenario, some dishes that surely comes handy are the ones which use lentils, gram flour, onion, potatoes etc .
One such dish is Chilra kadhi, a typical Sindhi Curry, made from savoury besan Pancakes, in a simple watery curry, seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves
The batter for chilra is same as that of Sindhi Sanna pakora, but instead of deep frying batter, we simply need to make pancakes and pan fry or cook these on a griddle, till crisp brown and then dump in curry…sounds simple…yes for sure!
Here we go, straight away to the recipe of the day:
- 1 small cup gram flour(besan)
- 1 small onion(chopped)
- Handful of coriander leaves(chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp annardana( Dry pomegranate seeds)
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds(akkha dhaniya)
- 2 Green chillies(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- A pinch of baking soda
- Oil for shallow frying
- Mustard seeds and curry leaves for tempering
- Mix all the ingredients except oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves,till a batter of medium consistency is obtained
- Now heat a griddle (tawa),and grease it with some oil
- Take a spoonful of the above batter,and slowly spread it ,on tawa to make small chilras (pancakes).
- You can make several chilras at a time, by spreading the mixture on griddle , by spacing them at little distance from each other (Remember to spare about a spoonful of this batter for gravy)
- Pour some more oil and let them cook on medium flame.
- Toss when one side is brown and let them cook on other side too. Alternatively you can bake the pancakes
- In the meantime add some water to remaining one spoonful of the batter and let it boil, in a pan or handi for about two minutes.
- Add salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder and let it cook further for few minutes
- Heat some oil and add curry leaves and mustard seeds and allow them to splutter
- Add this seasoning in the boiling curry and let it cook further for some time,till the rawness of ingredients added, is gone.Adjust the seasoning if needed
- While serving, heat the curry (kadhi) and add some pancakes and simmer for about a minute.Do not let it boil for more than a minute or else you will end up with a mushy concoction.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy with Rotis.