Weather is getting
It had been long since
Life is pretty busy nowadays
Waiting for the summer vacation…Darn……finding it hard to pen down my thoughts today. So many of thoughts arising and then dwindling in my mind..at times I wonder what to share with you all and what to hold back. There had been plenty of things going around but when I sit here to write, nothing clicks ..Sigh..the Irony of life !
Never mind, lets talk about the recipe then, for , that’s what you are here for , No? For today, lets save each one of you from those yakety yak talks of mine, and lets just head over to the Recipe of the day..Patta Gobi-Chana dal.
Now that Summer is officially here in Mumbai , its going to be hard to stay in kitchen for long durations. Summers to me, mean mangoes, Aam Paana, Jaljeera, Kulfi, Watermelons, Cucumbers, Buttermilk, Dahi/curd/yogurt, Quick stir-fries, Khichdee ..basically everything simple and less-spicy. Anything that is easy to cook and easy to digest. And this patta gobi-chanadal combination is one such recipe for sure. Just serve it with roti or Khichdi, some curd/yogurt and you have one hearty meal ! BTW what does summers means to you?
|Gobi Chanadal~A cabbage Bengal Gram combo||
- 1 Medium size Leafy Head of cabbage
- ½ cup Chana dal (Bengal gram )
- 2-3 Green chillies (Adjust as per taste)
- Ginger 1″ piece, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes
- 5-7 Curry leaves
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp oil(or less if cooking in nonstick ware)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- ¼ tsp of Pavbhaji Masala (optional..just in case you need that KICK)
- Rinse the cabbage head thoroughly, drain excess water and slice or chop it .
- Pick, rinse with water several times and soak Chana dal for 20 minutes and boil it with some salt , water and turmeric powder till just cooked.Do not let it overcook or get mushy.Boiling in pressure cooker till one whistle is heard, is fine if you have soaked it well. If bit undercooked, just let it cook further with cabbage.
- In a pan or Kadhai, add 2 tsp of oil, add curry leaves and mustard seeds, and allow it to splutter. Add sliced/chopped, cabbage and stir it nicely.
- Keep stirring on high flame till cabbage changes a bit of colour. Add chopped tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, salt , turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix properly.
- Lower the flame, add a spoonful or two of water if the mixture tends to stick to bottom of pan.Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook till tomatoes are done and the raw smell of cabbage is gone.
- Add boiled chanadal and continue to cook on low flame , covering the mixture with a lid, till all the flavors are mixed nicely.You can add pavbhaji masala along with chanadal. Sprinkle some water if needed.Cook for 3-4 minutes on lowest flame
- Garnish with coriander leaves, and serve with Roti/chapati/phulka/rice/Khichdee, along with some dahi/buttermilk, salad etc to fight those summer blues !