A heavy heart, a restless mind, an off mood and a headache ..all are hindering my attempts to have a hearty conversation with you all today. But I have got a recipe to share with some lovely people,who wanted to know some more ways to relish Lotus stem or Bhee(Bhein). So here I go anyway…
Sindhis tend to like Bhee, though it is bland in taste and could be awful with all its HAIRY TALES, but trust me if you can, slicing it in right way, cooking it till perfectly done and combining it with some flavorful spices, is all that it needs to get hooked to the mighty Bhee.
Seyal Bhee Patata( Lotus stem and potato cooked in Onion Base )
- 2 Potatoes -Do not peel the skin.Just clean the surface thoroughly and if needed soak whole potatoes in warm water for few minutes and then gently scrap any mud residues.You can go ahead and peel it too if the skin is not clean enough
- Lotus stem(roots) or Bhee. Here again thoroughly wash the stem and get rid of the mud.The pores of stem, if still muddy, could be cleaned with tooth picks, or again soak them in warm water and hold these under running tap for few seconds to wash away any residual mud. Depending upon the size and thickness, you might need about 8-10 ,1″ thick pieces of bhee. And don’t forget to slice those in slant slices, or else gear up for the hairy stuff ahead
- 2 large Onions
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- Ginger about 1″
- Garlic 2-3 cloves(optional)
- Green chillies 2-3 depending upon your taste
- 1 /4 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder
- ½ tsp Jeera powder
- Salt to Taste
- 2-4 tsp Oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Clean and cut bhee into slanting slices and pressure cook them with some salt and water till 2 whistles are heard(Depending upon the quality of Bhee, it might take longer to cook.Ideally a knife or toothpick should softly pass through the slice of cooked bhee.Do not overcook it)
- Remove the bhee from cooker and place aside.Clean the potatoes and cut them into large chunks.To peel or not to peel is your choice. I generally like potatoes with their skin on, unless these are too muddy or stained. Add some salt and keep aside. Soak in water if potatoes start to turn black.
- In a pan or handi, add 2-4 tsp of oil, and saute chopped onions, along with crushed ginger and garlic.
- When onions turn translucent , add chopped tomatoes, green chillies and saute for a while. Add potato chunks and cook on high heat for few seconds.
- Lower the heat, add some salt (beware there is already some salt in bhee and potatoes), all dry masalas and cover the pan with lid.If the mixture is too dry, sprinkle some water.Put on some heavy weight on the lid, so as to facilitate cooking of potatoes.
- Add bhee in somewhere mid of the procedure and mix well. Keep cooking on lowest flame with weight on the lid of the pan, sprinkling some water now and then (if the mix. tend to stick to the bottom of the pan).
- When the potatoes are cooked, the curry is done. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and serve with Roti/chapati .
Other Bhee Recipes:
Other Seyal Recipes: