The dreaded moment arrived..after enjoying two months of no alarm setting, no tiffin packing, no early- morning- rising, no school timetables and no studies, carefree days, its back to school routine…sigh !
Now with the life slowly coming back on a routine track, its time to plan menus ahead of each day, so as to avoid the hustle bustle and panic attacks every morning. With the kid making a face on spotting Poha, Upma, sandwiches etc, I wonder what to cook to appease his highly pampered taste buds. Can anyone help? Do share what you cook/ pack for your little masters to bring that twinkle in their eyes !
I wanted to post some curry recipe, but since many of you asked for the Tawa Alu recipe from the previous post of Panchratna Dal, let me first share this simple, but one of my favorite Tawa Alu recipe !
|Taye waara patata |Tawa Aloo||
- Medium sized potatoes 3
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 3 tsp
- Red chilly powder ½ tsp ( To make it more spicy, increase the quantity of red chillies)
- Amchoor powder ½ tsp
- Oil for shallow frying
- Pick 3 of almost same sized potatoes (or else the cooking time may vary). Be sure they don’t have a green tinge, neither the skin should have any sprouts. Since we need to cook the potatoes with the skin, rinse the potatoes very well under running water and if necessary scrub with clean kitchen towel ( cloth) or maybe with some fresh tooth brush .
- Now wipe the potatoes till completely dry. Cut each potato vertically into two halves.Run a sharp pointed knife through each potato piece, in crisscross fashion, making cuts at least half way through.
- Now add some salt to these potatoes and leave aside for 5 minutes.Take care as not to let the potatoes turn black. Soak them in water if they tend to turn black.
- Now mix coriander, red chilly and turmeric powder in a plate and stuff each potato mix with this spice mixture. You can add various other herbs too, like dried coriander leaves, kasoori methi, dried mint leaves etc.
- Heat a skillet / fry pan/ tawa, pour around 2 tsp of oil and place each potato piece , with the skin side facing downwards.
- cook on high flame for a minute or two, till the potato starts sizzling. Now lower the flame to minimum and add some more oil if needed.
- Cover the skillet /pan or cover the tawa with some dome shaped vessel and let the potato cook well.
- Toss or turn the potatoes at intervals, so as to cook on both sides.
- Sprinkle amchoor powder just when the potatoes are about to cook.
- Serve as a side dish with Dal , rice or with chapati and curry of your choice.