Hectic mornings, empty stomach, loads of pending work and time crunch..an awful combination to drain away my energy. And when the thoughts of rolling out some Koki, Paranthas or cooking some elaborate breakfast like Dal Pakwan, is a big no no, that is when these pancakes come to my rescue…easy to whip up, easy to cook and a filling one, if adding bits and pieces of veggies to this gramflour based savory pancake. Enjoy with a roti or simply sandwiched in between bread slices, dunk in some chutney or tomato ketchup, brew that favorite coffee of yours or enjoy it with the steaming hot tea..and you are sorted till lunch time
Besan Jo chilro, or besan chila is a simple gram flour based pancake, to which finely chopped onion, green chillies, coriander leaves etc are added.You can add veggies like grated carrots, cabbage, chopped mushrooms etc to make it more healthier.
|Besan Jo Chilro| Savory Pancakes||
- 2 small cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- Handful of coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp annardana (Dry pomegranate seeds)
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds (akkha dhaniya)
- 2 Green chillies (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- A pinch of baking soda
- Water to make batter (Approx. ½ cup , more or less )
- Oil for shallow frying 2 -3 tsp
- Mix all the ingredients except oil, adding water little by little, till a batter of pouring consistency is obtained.
- Now heat a griddle (tawa) and grease it with some oil.
- Pour 2 ladle full of the above batter and slowly spread it on tawa to make a pancake of around 5” in diameter.It should be of the thickness of an Uttapa.
- Pour around 1tsp of oil on the sides of pancake and let it cook on medium flame.
- Toss when one side is brown and let it cook on other side too, pouring some more oil to make the chilro crisp.
- Enjoy this gluten free, vegan pancake with roti, bread, or just as it is, with some spicy chutney or Ketchup.