The month of April is here..so whats special about it, you might ask ? Well, it isn’t about the harsh weather (weather discussion could be so boring, especially if you are talking about notorious summer ), nothing to do with April fools and sick April fool jokes, it neither have anything to do with the uber excitement regarding the upcoming summer vacation of our son (though, honestly, I am shrieking with joy,visualizing myself waking up late in mornings, without any scary thoughts of solving Math problem or pondering with my kid,over the geography and history books..struggling with grammar lessons etc etc…you got the drift ?? ).
What I wish to point out is that, now is the time when you can get hold of some Lime/lemons to pickle and preserve them before the demand surge and you end up paying double the amount to buy those yellow, shining, refreshing, citrusy lemons to make this simple yet tangy, zero oil pickle. So go and get hold of some wonderful thin skinned lime (lemons) before they get dear.
And yeah..for all the pickle lovers, here is something exciting…the upcoming recipes in month of April (might extend till May) will be of various pickles and preserves, so stay tuned !!!
And Oh ! Before I forget, let me share one more exciting news with you all.
Some of you might be knowing about my another food blog, Recipeonclick.com, where I share Non-Sindhi food recipes. It also have User-submitted recipes, and anyone wishing to share a recipe, can do so, by just registering here.
I am thrilled to share with you all that Recipeonclick is now the part of Apple Community. Yeah, with serious efforts of my
betterhalf best half , Five of famous Indian Recipes are compiled and available as iBook with the name ‘Famous Indian Recipes. It could be viewed using iBooks 2 on an iPad. iOS 5. So ipad users, please do check it out (Its free..yay !!). I would love to hear from you, about the reading experience, the recipes, the pictures and any suggestions to make our upcoming iBook on Sindhi Cuisine, more user friendly and more interesting
Heading towards recipe of the Zero Oil, lemon pickle with ginger, garlic and green chillies, preserved in Lemon/lime Juice..here we go….
*Pickle Courtesy My Father *
|Leeman Ji Khatairn| Lemon pickle|Zero oil Lemon Pickle||
- 20 Yellow Lemons/Lime (Preferably Kagzi Limbu, a thin skinned variety)
- 100 gm Ginger peeled and sliced or julienned
- 100 gm Green Chillies (Thick skinned/ less hot)
- 11/2 tbsp red chilly powder (optional)
- 1 Garlic pod
- 150-165 gm salt
- A sterilized glass jar with airtight lid
- Rinse Lime/lemons well with water.Pat dry using a clean kitchen towel.
- Take 8 Limes/lemons and cut each into 4-8 pieces, depending upon the size of lime/lemon you have. Discard the seeds
- Peel and slice Ginger or cut it into julienne
- Peel the cloves of 1 garlic pod.
- Chop the chillies into bite sized pieces ( You can first slit each chilly to remove the seeds.)
- Now take the sterilized glass jar and squeeze the remaining lime/lemons into the jar. Better put a strainer on mouth of jar and squeeze the lemons through it, to catch the seeds.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and close the lid.
- Shake the jar well and place it in sunlight for few days. When the rind of lemon soften up, the pickle is ready to consume. Generally it takes from 4-6 weeks for the flavors to marry, but it could be ate within a week of pickling.
- You can store this pickle without refrigeration for few months to almost an year if stored properly