This amazingly simple and tasty Khichhdi recipe is provided by Bina Makhija,who is one of the earliest member of Sindhunagar.com.Her contribution of recipes goes back to the days when this site was still in its nascent stage
Thanks Bina, for sharing this recipe.Keep the good work going:)
Note: This is a different version of khichhdi compared to normal khichhdi that we all know about. Channa dal and dhuli Moong daal can also be added along with Toor and Masoor daal, adjust the proportions of dal as per your requirement and taste.
- Toor Daal ¾ cup
- Masoor Daal(red) ¼ cup
- Rice ½cup
- Tomatoes finely chopped 2 medium sized
- Curry leaves - few
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder 1tsp
- Salt To taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼tsp
- Oil for tempering 3tbsp(or less)
- Hing ¼ tsp
- Sambhar Powder 2tsp
- Soak rice and dal together for ½ an hr.
- Take water in a pressure cooker enough to make khichhdi, put salt, turmeric and red chilli powder
- Add in soaked daal and rice stir, add chopped tomato, curry leaves and mixproperly
- close the cooker and let it pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistle
- Take it off the fire and let the steam release on its own, when all the pressure is released, open the lid and mash daal and rice with a wooden masher
- Add more water if needed to get liquid consistency for khichhdi.
- Give it a boil before tempering, for tempering heat oil in a small pan add hing to it, put in mustard seeds, when crackle add in Sambhar powder and pour this tempering over the khichhdi.
- Serve hot with fried chips or papad.