Ever since I mentioned Malai Kofta here , I keep getting E-mails from the visitors of my Rasoi , for the recipe of the same.
Many wished, that i post the recipe here, but I kept overlooking those requests, since it is not a traditional Sindhi dish (Though its very popular amongst Sindhis) and just kept on sending them the recipe through emails.
But after emailing the same to many of you (and my apologies to those who are yet to hear from me), I finally gave in and here I am sharing this recipe with you all .
Malai Kofta is basically a Moghul Delicacy, but it is Universally popular amongst Indians and many Non Indians too.
There are many versions of the Kofta, with the stuffing ranging from Malai(cream) and Paneer (cottage cheese) to boiled vegetables
Here is how I always make Malai koftas, based on the Recipe of Mrs Lavina, who runs a cookery class nearby. Feel free to tweak the recipe as per your taste and need.
Malai Kofta( Stuffed potato Dumplings, fried and dunked in rich onion tomato curry)
The sinful deep fried malai koftas
|Malai Kofta|| |
- Paneer(cottage cheese) 250 gms +50 gms for stuffing
- Potatoes 2
- All purpose flour and Cornflour -2 tsp each or Bread crumbs about 1 cup (or 6-7 bread slices dipped in water and squeezed out)
- Thick cream(doubly thickened) or unsweetened Mawa(khoya)
- Few Kishmish (raisins), and cashew nuts for stuffing
- Green chillies 2
- Onions 3
- Fresh cream (optional) 2-3 tsp
- Green chillies 3
- Red Gravy 8-10 tsp (Recipe given below)
- White Gravy 7-8 tsp (Recipe given below)
- Milk ½ cup
- Coriander powder ½ tsp
- Kitchen King powder 1-2 pinch(es)
- Kasoori Methi ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder
- Grate 250 gms of Paneer(save rest for stuffing) and boiled and peeled potatoes.Kindly note I use more potatoes , since my family prefers this way, while actually in 250 gms of paneer, 2 potatoes are added,
- Mix salt, cornflour, All purpose flour (or bread crumbs or bread slices as mentioned in ingredient list) to make a smooth mixture(no lumps)
- Divide the mixture into 6-7 portions
- Take each portion on the palm of your hand, flatten it to make a disc shape and place on it some of the remaining paneer, some kishmish , cashew nuts(broken in small pieces) , some doubly thickened cream or Unsweetened Mawa and pack it again to make a sort of stuffed ball
- Note I have made them in roll shape instead of circular (No hard and fast rules here)
- Repeat the procedure for remaining mixture and deep fry these in hot oil on medium flame till crisp golden brown
- If the mixture is too soft, the koftas might burst open in oil, so always first fry one and check. If they tend to break, then either oil is not properly hot or you might need to add some more cornflour or some more bread crumbs to the potato mixture
- Place them on kitchen towel or tissue paper to get rid of extra oil.
- Take 3 onions, peel and slice them and deep fry in some oil till brown in colour
- Remove from oil and let the onions cool
- Grind these with 2 -3 tomatoes, ginger,garlic (4-5 cloves), Whole garam masala(A small bayleaf, a bit of dalchini i.e cinnamon stick,1 clove,1-2 black pepper corn, just a bit of javitri or Mace flake, the skin of 1 black cardamom)
- Add a bit of water if needed.This is the basic red gravy which can be used to make many gravy based veg and nonveg dishes
- Soak about 1 tsp of KhusKhus (poppy seeds) in few spoons of water or milk for few hours
- Grind the seeds along with 6 -7 cashew nuts, 2 tsp melon seeds, till smooth paste is obtained(add some water if needed)
- In a pan , add 1 tsp of oil and add part of a bayleaf, and saute it for few seconds
- Add the khuskhus paste and fry the mixture on high flame (again taking care not to let it burn) . After 2 minutes add 2 tsp Cream , 1 tsp butter, 1 cup of milk
- Simmer it for 4-6 minutes and use this white gravy for any gravy based dish
- In a pan take 1 tsp of oil , add finely chopped onions and fry for some time till onions turn brown in colour
- Then Add 8-10 tsp of Red Gravy and 7-8 tsp of white gravy, around ½ cup of milk, coriander powder, kitchen king, kasoori methi, salt and saute it for some time till the oil separates out
- Add some water and let the gravy simmer for 5-8 minutes
- While serving place the fried koftas, in a serving bowl and JUST BEFORE SERVING pour hot gravy over these.Garnish it with some grated paneer, some fresh cream and chopped coriander leaves