Kadhi Chaawaran or Kadhi Rice is the most favorite dish of majority of Sindhis. Easy to cook, could be easily cooked in large quantities, which means its ideal for serving to guests at home. The tangy gram flour based curry, with lots of assorted vegetables is loved by one and all.
- 2 tbsp. Gramflour
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp.fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 7-8 curry leaves (curry pata)
- 2-3 green chillies
- Ginger (as per taste)
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
- ½ tsp.Red chilly powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 10-12 cluster beans (gavar)
- 2 potatoes (cut in small Chunks)
- 8-9 lady fingers (slit them and fry them little )
- 1-2 drumsticks (cut in finger sized lengths)
- Soak tamarind in water for sometime and mash it with hand.Use the paste and discard remaining pulp
- In pressure cooker put 2 tbsp.of oil, add gram flour and stir it continuously till it changes color slightly.
- Add curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, while stirring continuously.
- When the flour turns brown in colour, add red chilly powder and then add grated tomatoes, keep frying for few more seconds.Then add some water,while stirring, to avoid any lumps.But be careful as it splutters a lot at this stage.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger , green chillies and salt, place the lid of the pressure cooker , close it and wait for 7 whistles or simmer it for 10 minutes minimum.
- (Note: instead of pressure cooker,same can be made in thick base pan , where the curry needs to be boiled for approx 5 min and then simmered for 15-20 min)
- Add all the vegetables (except bhindi) and tamarind pulp and wait for 1 more whistle.
- Finally add bhindi and coriander leaves and simmer for 2 min
- Serve hot with plain white rice, aloo took(crisp deep fried potatoes) and sweet boondi.