A quick question for Sindhis all around the world..How are the preparations to celebrate our New year, this weekend, are going on ? Planned a Beharana? Or any fun celebrations? Are the plans etched for the get together and food? Are the Sherbets ready? Do let me know how are you celebrating Chetichand this year.If you have some pictures of the occasion to share, kindly Email me.The selected pictures will be shared on this blog
Coming to the recipe of the day, this is a delicious curry, with Urad dal dumplings, called Kachori in Sindhi.The dumplings are deep fried and served with simple Sindhi style Tomato curry. Garnish with some Nylon sev and there you go…a quick fix dish if you have some leftover fried Dahi wadas ( ofcourse the one that are not soaked in Curd/yogurt) or medu wadas
|Dal Kachori Tamatey Mein|Fried Lentil Dumplings in Tomato curry||
- Urad dal (Dhotala, also known as black gram, but skinned and split) 300 gm
- Salt as per taste
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Green chillies 2-3
- Coriander leaves, chopped, 1-2 tbsp
- Dried Pomegranate seeds 1 tbsp (optional)
- Finely chopped ginger 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Tomatoes 3
- Green chillies 2
- Curry leaves 6-8
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methidaana) ¼ tbsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tbsp
- Red chilli powder as per need
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Nylon Sev for garnishing
- Soak urad dal for at least 4 hours and later rinse it thoroughly (Some prefer to rinse well first and then soak later. Do as you prefer)
- Grind it using wet grinder, along with green chillies and ginger, adding little water.
- Remember the batter should be thick and not watery.
- Add salt, cumin seeds, coriander leaves (optional), and mix it thoroughly in one direction. This aerates the batter and make the wadas soft and fluffy.
- Now take a spoonful of this batter and fry it in hot oil over medium to low flame till they look crisp and are well cooked from inside, but remember the colour of vadas should not be very dark. Repeat the procedure for remaining batter.Drain on tissue paper/kitchen towel.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in pressure cooker, add curry leaves, cumin seeds and methidaana and saute for few seconds
- Add grated tomatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and fry for few more minutes
- Add around 3 cups of water and close the lid of pressure cooker and wait till 2 whistles.
- Adjust the consistency of gravy, as it should not be too watery
- Just before serving, place fried dumplings in the bowl and pour hot tomato curry over these. Garnish with coriander leaves and Nylon sev and serve immediately with hot Phulkas/Rotis. The Dumplings have tendency to absorb the gravy pretty fast, so always mix Vadas with curry just before serving.