15 th August, The Independence Day of Our India, is truly a special day for all Indians.To salute the spirit of this day, Pooja of My creative Ideas came with a wonderful event
As per Pooja Here are the rules to participate in this event:
“Cook anything with 3 colors of flag of India. (Orange , White and Green – you can cook dish finally resulting in any of these 3 colors / any single color / all of 3 , slight variation in color of final dish is perfectly OK”
I simply loved the idea, because for people like me who cannot actively contribute to the festivity of this Memorable day, what is better than to cook a thing as special as the day itself?
So here I come with a Typical Sindhi Mithai, made with dessicated coconuts.I know there is still a week to go for the D Day, but considering the pathetic situation of non availability of Electricity for almost 8 hrs everyday and Internet connections going Kaput every now and then, hence I didn’t wanted to wait till next week.Despite of all the jabbering against the place I live, Istill love my India.So wishing you all a very patriotic Independence day !
This is also my entry for Easycraft’s WYF-COlour in food event since I had used Green colour in this mithai and green is my favourite colour in food
- Dessicated coconut powder (easily available at stores as naariyal ka chura) 250 gm
- Milk powder 2 spoons
- Sugar 250 gm
- Water 2 small cups
- Green colour (edible food colour)
- White rose essence few drops
- In a thick bottom pan, add water and sugar and let it boil for few minutes till a syrup of thick consistency is obtained (this is tricky one, as syrup should not be too dilute, nor too thick)
- Now divide this syrup into two halves, add little amount of green colour in one half and leave the other half as it is.
- Now mix milk powder in the coconut powder
- Put the colourless syrup in the pan and add half of the coconut mixture in it and cook it, mixing continuously, so that the coconut doesn't get burned or charred
- Cook till the mixture start sticking to pan
- Put it off the flame and mix few drops of rose essence and pour the mix on greased plate and smoothen down till the layer is at least 1 inch thick (a little more or less is ok)
- Now repeat the same procedure with green syrup and remaining coconut powder and lay it over the white layer, smoothing it down (you can wet your hands, coz the hot mixture is sticky)
- Let it cool for a while and then cut it into pieces of desired shape