Most of the people landing on my blog , are silent visitors, few oblige to comment , few are kind enough to share recipes and tips,while rest of them write for recipe requests specially for Pickles.
I try to reply each and every query as and when time permits. Majority of the people had requested for Sindhi AUR MEIN KHATAIRN or Pickle in mustard seeds(aur) and water .
I kept postponing the idea to make this pickle for three reasons , one Hubby dear can’t stand the SMELL of pickles so these are big NO NO at our home, secondly, pickles are not good for health because of their excess oil or salt/sugar content and thirdly because this pickle has cooling effect on body so these are best consumed in Summer season which is still far away as per Indian Calender.
But after replying many of people, individually via E-mails , I thought to finally give in and prepared this Turnip pickle (minimum possible quantity).
So here I go, sharing this fool proof-quick fix pickle , which is ridiculously simple to make, and fast to mature. In fact this pickle should always be made in small batches, because it has small shelf life (it sours pretty fast) if kept outside the refrigerator .
Aur mein Khatairn is very famous Sindhi Pickle ,with the base of Mustard seeds called AUR in Sindhi and the water. Most common veggies used for this pickle are Whole Onions (small sized), Turnips, Carrots and chopped onions (chunks of onion)
Wash, peel and cut turnips into quarters (four pieces from one turnip )
Meanwhile crush /or slightly grind mustard seeds, taking care as not to powder the seeds.It should be coarse as shown in the pic.
Add rest of the ingredients and let the pickle mature for few days
- Turnips 5
- Mustard seeds 2½ to 3 tsp
- Salt about 1½ tsp
- Fresh green garlic 3-4 bulbs and stalks (whole)
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp (better trust your instincts)
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Wash,peel and cut turnips into quarters (four pieces from one turnip )
- In an open vessel like handi, boil turnips with water, salt and turmeric powder.Water should be above the level of turnips.
- Do not be scared while adding salt and turmeric, since we are not going to boil it for too long for turnips to absorb extra quantity of salt and moreover this water is to be discarded, so add salt and turmeric without bothering much.
- let the water reach the boiling point, simmer it for a minute or so and put off the flame.
- Now take out the boiled turnips on a plate and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile crush /or slightly grind mustard seeds, taking care as not to powder the seeds.It should be coarse as shown in the pic.
- Take a perfectly clean glass jar (be sure to thoroughly wash the jar ,and if possible keep it in sunlight till dried) with a tight lid.Traditionally the pickles should be kept in thick porcelain jars , but unavailability of such containers should not be an obstacle between you and your pickle
- Now put the crushed mustard seeds in this jar, add cooled turnips and keep on adding water (plain drinking water) above the level of turnips. Again this is very forgiving recipe so do not worry about the exact measures.
- You can taste turnip at this stage to check out the salt level and add bit of salt now in jar (the amount of salt depends on the amount of water , so again follow your instincts)
- Now again add less than ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder, chopped fresh green garlic and close the lid. Shake the jar well so as to mix the ingredients properly.
- The mustard seeds will appear to sink at the bottom of jar, but you need not worry about it.
- Let the pickle mature for few days.Do not forget to shake the jar once or twice a day to achieve uniform pickling
- Once the mustard seeds change its colour from blackish yellow to complete yellow, the pickle is ready.
- Consume it within few days as it sours very fast (will appear greyish in colour if over matured)
- The mustard water taste good when few spoons of it are poured over hot Khichdi (Indian style rice Risotto).
Now time to SHOW OFF my possessions…errr I mean the Awards ! Vidhya of Appetizing Recipes showered so many awards to me and my blog that I am just losing the count…but I am loving it lady ! Thanks once again ( and twice and thrice and…….) for thinking of me while passing these awards
Let me hold on these awards for some time, I will surely pass on all of these wonderful awards to lovely bloggers ASAP !