Guaar or gavar or Cluster beans, is one green veggie that my son is not very fond of.Still when I add potatoes to the guaar, he eats it without any fuss.Personally I too find it very bland unless I make it with potato.The school exams of my son had forced my blogging to take a backseat.So no Blah Blah today (phew! I can imagine the relieved face of yours)
So lets straight away jump to today’s recipe!
|Guaar Patata(Cluster beans with Potato)And Dhoklas for Tried and Tasted||
- Guaar (cluster beans) 250 gm
- Potato 2 medium sized
- Onion 1 medium sized
- Tomato 2 small
- Green chillies 2 (or use as many you normally do)
- Ginger a bit
- Garlic 5-6 cloves
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil 1tbsp (or less)
- Wash guaar thoroughly and trim the tips on both sides.
- Cut every bean into small (1 inch) pieces
- Peel and dice potato into big chunks
- Wash and add salt to potatoes, keep aside for 5 minutes ( if you are not using it soon then add water to them to avoid blackening of chunks)
- Take 1 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker and heat it
- Now pound ginger garlic (or even grind it) and add it to oil.saute it for few seconds till they slightly change color
- Chop the onion to fine pieces and add it in cooker
- Saute onions till very light brown and add chopped tomatoes and chillies
- Add guaar, potato (first wash them to get rid of extra salt), salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder (remember to add salt with caution as potatoes are already salted)
- Saute them properly for a min or two, then add 1-2 tbsp of water and close the lid.
- Wait for 2 whistles,then simmer it on low flame for about 2 minutes or till potatoes are cooked.
- It is a dry Subzi,so put it on flame till all the water is evaporated
- Serve it with roti, or plain boiled rice
Sia highly recommended this recipe for Khaman Dhokla . I followed the recipe exactly and Iwas surprised with the results.First time I made it, they didn’t turned out very spongy (as u can see in the pic)..But the reason was that Soda bi carb was not very fresh.But they tasted simply lovely ! Second time I made it at my neighbor’s place and this time I added a small pack of ENO FRUIT SALT and yeah they indeed turned out very very fluffy.Sadly I didn’t had a camera at that moment, so for now kindly bear with this pic.